Initiated in 2001, HITES12 identifies and selects rising twelfth-grade students who are eager to tackle real-world engineering challenges through creative applications of math and science.
HITES12 provides an opportunity to explore engineering and campus life at the University of Tennessee. The program will take place July 7-12, 2024.
Students will engage with faculty and staff, be introduced to engineering fundamentals, learn about college life, and compete in daily engineering challenges. Throughout the program, students will team up with one other to apply what they have learned and work on an engineering design project.
HITES12 provides a one-week residential experience, offered at no major cost, and includes the following experiences:
- Orientation session
- Ice breakers and team building exercises
- College life and preparation sessions with UT staff
- Engineering department visits hosted by UT faculty and undergraduate and graduate students
- Educational supplies for the week
- Laboratory demonstrations
- Engineering challenges and group design project
- Counselor-to-peer mentoring
- Closing awards program
Frequently Asked Questions
HITES12 is a summer enrichment program for rising twelfth grade students. Our mission is to provide students who show an interest in engineering studies an early exposure to and preparation for scientific study and research. This experience will spark an interest in the world of engineering and allow students to explore career opportunities. Throughout the program, participants will be challenged to apply what they have learned in engineering competitions.
The classes are led by faculty and graduate students from the Tickle College of Engineering and Mathematics Department. Counselors will assist with program activities and supervision of participants.
Participants will learn about majors in UT engineering, college life preparation seminars, cultivate new friendships, attend engineering lectures, and participate in engineering lab experiments.
All rising twelfth grade students are encouraged to apply. All applicants must be enrolled or have completed Algebra 2 or Integrated Math and Geometry.
There is no major cost associated with the program. All supplies will be provided by the college.
All rising twelfth grade students are encouraged to apply. The application requirements are:
- Must be a rising senior by summer 2024
- High school transcript (if applicable)
- Two teacher recommendations (Math & Science teachers only)
- Video essay – The prompt is located within the application.
The application must be received by January 1, 2024. No faxes or emails will be accepted. Students will be notified of their acceptance within three weeks after the deadline.
Apply for HITES12
- Check back in late October for the HITES12 program application.
- The deadline to register is January 1, 2024.