Skip to content

Study Abroad Programs FAQ

Check out the below questions to learn more about studying abroad and the types of study abroad programs available to Engineering Vols.

Faculty-Led Study Abroad Programs

These study abroad programs were developed by UT Tickle College of Engineering faculty to provide international experiences specifically for our engineering students.  All are summer programs to maximize schedule flexibility.

Faculty-directed means UT faculty serve as program leaders as part of all programs. Courses offered are required in some curricula, or are offered as technical electives.

Students receive UT credit for courses, no transfer evaluation required. Grades do count in UT GPA. Technical electives always have to be approved by your advisor, but departments have agreed to be flexible when evaluating these study abroad programs.

All program locations are chosen so that the courses are “enhanced” with field trips and experiences related to the subject matter for a superior learning experience.

All programs include both planned cultural experiences and free time to learn about local culture. Travel before or after the program is encouraged.

Programs charge a “Program Fee” which generally includes lodging, local transportation, field trips and excursions, and classroom rental, if applicable. Complete budget information varies with each program but is available on the Programs Abroad application website for that program.

Financial assistance is available from UT university sources and the Tickle College of Engineering. Many scholarships can be used for study abroad programs, but it varies with each funding source, so you need to check with the financial aid office to determine your own situation.

Application deadlines for most programs are the first week of February. Visit the Programs Abroad site for a complete list of programs available to UT students or view programs led by TCE faculty.

Complete applications are reviewed by faculty leaders (and the university for those unpaid parking tickets) following the application deadline. Student is notified of acceptance into the program, and then has one week to commit to program. This is the financial commitment date.

Full Semester Study Abroad Programs

Engineering students can take part in UT Study Abroad programs throughout the world. There are programs in Asia, Europe, Africa, Australia, South America, and North America. You can take classes during one semester, mini-term, summer, or the whole academic year.

You are eligible to apply for the Study Abroad Program after you complete your first year or after the first semester at UT, if you are a transfer student. Most programs require a minimum 2.5 to 2.75 GPA. For non-English language programs, it is required that you have minimum 4 semesters of the equivalent foreign language (faculty-led programs are exceptions).

Many semester and year programs are similar to UT costs. In order to access their financial aid package, students have to be enrolled in the equivalent of a minimum of 12 credit hours for a semester and 6 credit hours for the summer. You can also apply for UT and national study abroad scholarship and there are more funding opportunities for programs in non-traditional countries (i.e. outside Western Europe). Students will want to talk with the office of Financial Aid for specific details.

If you plan ahead, you can receive credit for any approved program. Talk with your academic advisor and the Tickle College of Engineering Advising about the courses you want to take abroad. All study abroad credits transfer as Pass/Fail grades with the exception of faculty-led. In order to receive Major or Minor credit, you must petition those courses upon your return.

UT Study Abroad programs include 5 types of programs: UT Faculty-Directed, UT Exchange, UT Direct, UT Affiliate, and UT Academic Internships.

Travel Tips

Studying abroad can be one of the highlights of your university career. In order to make preparation for the trip less stressful, use the information below as a guide to getting started.

Studying abroad will be one of the highlights of your university career.  You will have wonderful and challenging experiences that will allow you to grow both academically and personally and prepare you to compete in today’s globalizing world.  But we know that planning for this experience can be daunting, so the Programs Abroad Office has assembled these guidelines to help get you started.

How to get started with preparing for your trip

Passports and visas are two very important types of documents that you will need when you study abroad.

Learn what documents you need to travel

Welcome back! Now that you have returned from a remarkable learning experience abroad, you will find yourself facing a cultural adjustment to life back in the U.S. While this adjustment is different for each student, there are many commonalities in the returned-student experience.

Learn about what you should expect when you return

Students must arrange to have your transcript sent to the Programs Abroad Office prior to returning to the US. The Programs Abroad Office has compiled more information on this process.

Explore the university’s transfer credit policy

The university offers students interested in studying abroad five different types of programs: faculty-directed, affiliate, exchange, direct and academic internships.

Discover what options are available to UT students

If you have already completed your FAFSA for the current academic year, and receive federal and/or state financial aid (including the HOPE Scholarship), you may apply it to all UT approved study abroad programs.

Explore what opportunities are available