The university is excited to hold in-person commencement ceremonies for all our graduates in Neyland Stadium this spring. The ceremony for engineering will be held at 10 a.m. on Saturday, May 8, 2021.
Additional protocols so our graduates and their families can safely gather to celebrate this momentous day.
Below are some specific details for the Spring 2021 Commencement ceremony. The university’s Frequently Asked Questions page has been updated with common questions about all ceremonies as well.
- Ceremonies will last approximately 2.5 hours.
- Attendance will be limited.
- Recorded music will be used.
- Programs will be mailed to graduates at a later date.
- In-person speakers and stage party members will be limited. All seating on stage is assigned and socially distanced.
- Students will cross an ADA-compliant ramp as their name is called. Students will be distanced as they cross the ramp.
- There will be no handshaking.
- Doctoral and professional students will be hooded by a college representative.
- Students will pause on the ramp for a formal photo. Masks may be removed temporarily for the photo.
- Students will be directed back to their seat on the field in order to end the ceremony with the singing of our alma mater. This will be followed by a joyful rendition of “Rocky Top,” when our photography team will capture the celebration as you throw your caps in the air on the field in Neyland Stadium.
- Students will be allowed to snap pictures with fellow students around them.
Graduates will not receive a printed program at the ceremonies. Graduates will receive one copy of the program by mail in mid-to late-summer along with instructions for how to request more copies.
Faculty can participate in the ceremonies in three ways:
- Hooder (only for graduate and professional hooding ceremony)
- Stage party (for undergraduate ceremonies)
Information for In-Person Ceremonies
The information presented here pertains only to graduation ceremonies for undergraduate students of the Tickle College of Engineering. View university-wide details about Commencement.
The university has enacted a clear bag policy for the event as well as placed metal detectors at all entrances. Please be sure to check the security policy for commencement activities before you arrive.
Please read and bookmark these instructions to answer any questions concerning commencement and to help make the conferral of your degree a memorable and joyous experience for you, your family, and friends.