Skip to content

Frequently Asked Questions

About the Program

Engineering students can take part in UT Study Abroad programs throughout the world. There are programs in Asia, Europe, Africa, Australia, South America, and North America. You can take classes during one semester, mini-term, summer, or the whole academic year.


You are eligible to apply for the Study Abroad Program after you complete your first year or after the first semester at UT, if you are a transfer student. Most programs require a minimum 2.5 to 2.75 GPA. For non-English language programs, it is required that you have minimum 4 semesters of the equivalent foreign language (faculty-led programs are exceptions).

How do I pay for it?

Many semester and year programs are similar to UT costs. In order to access their financial aid package, students have to be enrolled in the equivalent of a minimum of 12 credit hours for a semester and 6 credit hours for the summer. You can also apply for UT and national study abroad scholarship and there are more funding opportunities for programs in non-traditional countries (i.e. outside Western Europe). Students will want to talk with the office of Financial Aid for specific details.

Will I receive transfer credit?

If you plan ahead, you can receive credit for any approved program. Talk with your academic advisor and the Tickle College of Engineering Advising about the courses you want to take abroad. All study abroad credits transfer as Pass/Fail grades with the exception of faculty-led. In order to receive Major or Minor credit, you must petition those courses upon your return.

Types of Programs

UT Study Abroad programs include 5 types of programs: UT Faculty-Directed, UT Exchange, UT Direct, UT Affiliate, and UT Academic Internships.

The flagship campus of the University of Tennessee System and partner in the Tennessee Transfer Pathway.

View our Privacy Policy.