Spend five weeks in Hangzhou, China next July earning credit for IE 430!
Upon successful completion of the course, students will receive 3 credits in IE 430: Supply Chain Engineering. This program will integrate University of Tennessee students into a classroom with engineering students studying at Zhejiang University – one of the leading universities in China. Students will have the opportunity to interact with local students and will work in collaboration on team projects. Course objectives are as follows:
- Introduce issues involved in the relatively new and growing area of supply chain management.
- Provide solution techniques to some of these problems.
- Develop an understanding of the trade-offs inherent in supply chain management and study quantitative analysis tools required to address these trade-offs.
- Develop familiarity with the techniques currently used throughout industry in addressing the many complex supply chain problems, especially for global problems.
A key component of the course will be a team project focused on a Knoxville-based company whose manufacturing base is in China. Students from both countries will work together and global concerns will need to be addressed during the analysis.
- Spend three weeks studying at Zhejiang University in Hangzhou, China
- Earn three credits in IE 430 (counts as technical elective for non-IE engineering students)
- Experience global supply chain while learning the course of Supply Chain Engineering in China
- Take the class together with Chinese students in one of the top 5 Chinese universities
- Visit Hangzhou, most beautiful city in China, and Shanghai, largest city in the world
- Feel the high speed of Chinese economy and the fastest train in the world
- Visit global companies and conduct global supply chain analysis
- Enjoy the culture, food, and hospitality in China and have fun
- Program Requirements (course is suitable for all TCE students)
- Sophomore level or higher by program start date
- Minimum GPA = 2.6
- Permission of instructor
Please contact Mingzhou Jin at firstname.lastname@example.org or 865-974-9992 for more details and reserve your spot by January 15th, 2017.
Airline Ticket: $1,800
Program Fee: approx. $1,000*
Tuition: Normal University tuition rates apply. Specific tuition rates »
*Program fee includes room, board, and other program related costs.
Competitive scholarships are available from:
- The Tickle College of Engineering
- Zhejiang University
- The Department of Industrial & Systems Engineering
Associate Professor and Associate Head,
Department of Industrial and Systems Engineering
Zhejiang University is a top-five national university in China. Founded in 1897, it is one of China’s oldest universities and has a total of about 44,000 full-time students. Based on the ARW World University Ranking, it is ranked between 151 and 200 and its engineering is ranked 48th in the world.
Hangzhou, 110 miles southwest of Shanghai (or 40 minutes by rail), is the capital and largest city of Zhejiang Province in Eastern China. It is also the center of the Hangzhou Metropolitan Area, which is the fourth-largest metropolitan area nationally with 21 million people. Hangzhou is renowned for its historic relics and natural beauty. Hangzhou is listed as one of the Six Ancient Capitals of China, for 210 years and two dynasties.