The Summer Undergraduate Research Experience program (SURE) is a strategic initiative of the college’s Office of Diversity Programs. The goal of this program is recruit students from broadening participation programs (LSAMP, McNair, etc.) to engage in research and prepare for graduate school. This will be anchored by:
- Providing an undergraduate research experience
- Providing graduate school preparation
- Aggregation of student progression to engineering graduate school at UT
SURE will consist of eight to twelve engineering focused undergraduate projects, which will be funded by existing UT engineering faculty. Student benefits include:
- Stipend, housing/board, and travel
- Weekly professional development
- Weekly graduate school preparation seminars
- Industry and lab visits
- Graduate student and faculty mentoring
The program runs from June 3, 2019, to July 26, 2019. Each student earns approximately $4,000 for eight weeks of research. Campus housing is provided at no cost. Travel expenses up to $500 are also covered.
Meals will be the responsibility of the student, but UT’s Knoxville campus is conveniently located less than one mile from a wide variety of restaurants. Campus dining also provides additional meal options.
Students looking to apply for the program must:
- Be a rising sophomore, junior, or non-graduating senior student at an accredited college or university in the United States.
- Have at least a 3.0 cumulative GPA.
- Be a US citizen or permanent resident of the US who is enrolled in a full-time accredited undergraduate institution.
- Be able to devote 35–40 hours per week to the program from 9:00 a.m. through 5:00 p.m., Monday–Friday.
- Not take classes or hold other employment during the SURE period.
- Attend all required programs, seminars, lectures, etc. each week.
To apply for the program, you will need to submit:
- Online application
- Unofficial college transcript
- Two letters of recommendation from faculty advisers
- One-page personal statement explaining background, research interests, and career goals
- 3-5 minute introduction video that answers the following questions:
- Describe a significant event that has influenced your decision to pursue undergraduate research.
- What are you looking to gain by participating in the SURE program?
- Why do you want to work in the selected Research Center at UT?
- What are your future plans after completing the SURE program?
Application deadline is March 1, 2019.