The college initiated the first HITES12 program in 2001. The program identifies and selects rising twelfth-grade students who demonstrate interests within math and science.
HITES12 provides an opportunity to explore engineering and campus life at UT. HITES12 will be hosted June 14–19, 2020.
Thirty-two students are selected to participate within each session. Students live within a residence hall on campus, engage in hands-on engineering fundamentals activities, college life sessions, compete in engineering challenges, and tour an engineering industrial plant. Throughout the program, students team with each other to apply what was learned and work on an engineering design project.
All applicants must have a minimum ACT math score of 25 (SAT math score of 590). If you have not taken the ACT/SAT, but are registered to take it, we encourage you to apply by uploading your ACT/SAT registration page in the required field. Once your scores arrive, please log into your account and upload your scores by April 24, 2020. Priority consideration will be granted to individuals with complete applications by April 10, 2020.
The HITES12 program provides a one-week experience, at no major cost, and includes following:
- Orientation session
- Ice breakers and team building exercises
- Residential hall accommodations for five nights
- College life and preparation sessions with university staff
- Engineering department visits hosted by university faculty, undergraduate, and graduate students
- UT campus tour
- Meals (breakfast, lunch, and dinner)
- Campus life and recreation
- Hands-on laboratory demonstrations
- Engineering challenges and group design project
- Counselor-to-peer mentoring
- Closing awards reception
For additional information, please contact us by email at email@example.com or by phone at 865-974-0625.