For in-person ceremonies
Any student suspected to be under the influence of alcohol or a controlled substance will be subject to arrest and will not be allowed to participate in the ceremony.
Smoking is strictly prohibited inside the Thompson-Boling Arena.
Getting to the Arena
Graduate and guest parking is available in the G10 and G5 parking garages.
- Graduates: Enter the venue at the lower level Media entrance. Orange and white balloons will mark the entrance.
- Guests: Enter the arena at the upper level gates.
- Tickets are not required for graduate entry.
- Graduates will enter the arena at the lower level Media entrance near G-10 garage. Orange and white balloons will mark the entrance.
- Doors will open for graduate entry 90 minutes before the ceremony start time. Graduates should arrive no later than 6:20.
- On arrival, graduates will pick up their name card at designated registration tables. The card will be used as the graduate crosses the stage.
- All graduates will participate in a processional. They will be directed to a designated spot to wait in line.
- Doors will open for guest entry 90 minutes before the beginning of the ceremony. The upper level gates will be open for guest entry.
- There are currently no plans to require tickets for entry. The Office of the University Registrar will contact graduates if that changes.
- Guests are asked to bring as little as possible inside the venue with them. This will speed up the entry procedure and reduce chances of lines. The university’s clear bag policy will be enforced. Metal detectors will be in place and guests will be screened on entry.
After the Ceremony
Graduate and Guest Exiting
Graduates are required to return to their seat on the arena floor after crossing the stage. After all graduates have crossed the stage, graduates and guests will rise to sing the Alma Mater.
Graduates will exit at the concourse level and are encouraged to make a plan to meet up with their guests in the parking garage or elsewhere after the ceremony. No guests will be permitted on the arena floor.